I ran into an issue today where Windows would not update. It wouldn’t download, wouldn’t install, and wouldn’t even make any outbound connections. I also could not open the Roles or Features dialogue in server manager. After a bit of time researching the error messages related to the Roles dialogue failing to open, I discovered it was most likely a broken or incomplete update. Here are the steps I took to resolve it.
- Stop the Windows update service (net stop wuauserv)
- Rename the Windows update database (Rename c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution_OLD)
- Start the Windows update service (net start wuauserv)
- Download System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Server 2008 R2 – http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=947821. Make sure you get the correct one for your version of Windows.
- Install the tool. It will run and either identify or fix the problems with Windows update. It can take a long time to complete.
After reboot the Server Manager opened properly and the server began updating properly. All good.