Kendra and I recently did a weekend getaway to Orlando for Valentine’s weekend (much more enjoyable than a box of chocolate and a bouquet of flowers). During our time there we learned a few things about the city and thought we would pass them on. These tips stem directly from our joys and frustrations on the trip:
- Research the parks before arriving in Orlando. I mean, watching the hotel info channel at 1 AM the day you are going to go to the park is great, but… enough said.
- If traveling without children Universal Studios is a one day adventure not to miss. Both parks can be experienced in one day, no matter what the guy at the gate says. Just keep moving and you’ll get it done. It’s a long day but well worth it. Every ride we went on was awesome.
- If you are going to do Disney World, stay at one of the Disney Resorts. There are 22 to choose from, so I think you can find one you will enjoy and in your price range.
- All transportation in the park is free and you will have to use it. Disney is 55 square miles and over 28,000 acres in size. All transportation to the park from outside the complex is expensive not to mention impossible to figure out so save yourself the hassle.
- Understanding Disney’s internal bus system requires a minimum of a college degree; a masters is preferred. (I still don’t know how it works…)
- If you don’t want children invading every inch of your vacation Disney is not for you.
- Even though the Hotel claims to be a mile from Disney, remember Disney is HUGE and 1 mile to the outskirts of the Disney complex can still mean 5 miles from anywhere you actually want to be. Walking is not an option, believe me.
- The Epcot fireworks and laser show is worth every penny of the Epcot entrance fee. Even if that is all you see, its worth it.
- Make sure you look good at all times. You will end up in countless pictures taken by random Asian people rapidly darting about snapping pictures as if they are documenting the experience for National Geographic.
- Michael Daley (of Michael Daley Destinations) is a pretty rad taxi/limovan driver. He got us around and took care of us. Visit his site here. He told us to call him when we fly in next time and he’ll pick us up from the airport.
If you have the opportunity Kendra and I highly recommend you visit Orlando and see the sites there. It is a pretty amazing place. Enjoy!